Thursday, February 10, 2011

Get out of the house and do something

Yeah, it's like this.

Too many blank, white days have passed with nothing accomplished, so today I set out on foot to visit a friend. We walked a total of 5 miles today, shopped out some of her awesome felt goodies, and got some work done in her studio.  J decided to give me my Valentine's gift early, on account of the snow day.  As soon as I saw the box, wrapped in paper from the local bookstore, I knew what it was and started jumping up and down.  A tiny box/book of softie patterns, perfect practice for making 3D fabric sculptures! The Softies Kit (I didn't know what a softie was, but I guess it's what I've been making) is adorable, with 15 patterns for cute things ranging from elephants to ham bones.

 
A side-by-side comparison shows that I am still practicing.

I sent off the artichoke and asparagus (I haven't posted too much about them, because the bride-to-be they're for reads this blog-- could be reading and sniffling right now) on Thursday, and I got a call that they've arrived in Michigan!  Total relief-- what kind of insurance can you get on handmade awesomeness?  They loved them, so mission accomplished.  I'll do a post on the making of them soon.


Work has been cancelled for the 7th time in the past 3 weeks, so I'm in the middle of a 5-day weekend.  This is the mother of all get-out-of-jail-free cards of adulthood, so I'm making the most of it.  I've dove head-first into a mound of snow.  Drank a lot of Bailey's.  Going to have beers and watch an improv show.  Made an elephant.  Written some blog posts.  Watched  LOT of Louis CK.  And frankly, thought a lot about things I'm good at and how I need to work really hard to hone my little talents so I can do something amazing with them.    But now I'm going to trounce around in the snow some more in my lovely plastic bag boots.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Registration isn't necessary, but please don't post as "anonymous".