Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I have references!

I sent out 8 emails in the past week asking for permission to use different people as references, and 7 have replied back already (in the affirmative).  Luckily people at past jobs really remember me.  I feels good to take stock of who would say good things about you, because you have to remember good things you've done. And dangit, I have skills that match up with that job description, even if I don't have years of wisdom.

The application is due in a week, so I need to get on the ball with my cover letter.  I'm plumbing the depths of Ask a Manager for advice, but the hard part is making it sound believable (not overly dramatic), interesting and of course, well-written.  This is the first time my BA in English has made any difference, but I don't need to let my emphasis on Creative Writing bloat the letter with flowery language.  I should just write, write, write and have J tell me what sounds crazy, and I'll keep the rest.

from zoitz.com
Trailing, my ass!

But J! He is defending his dissertation on Friday! After that, he has about a week to make corrections and graduate.  I am absolutely not worried about this.  I'm not worried about him, either, because he seems cool as a cucumber.  I'm getting more and more excited about our life being more like it was a few years ago, when we had more time to do fun stuff!  It's impossible to go back in time, but a return of a less-stressed and always-working spouse is going to be heavenly.  When I think about how my conception of "having fun" has changed in the past few years, it is sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Registration isn't necessary, but please don't post as "anonymous".